Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Wednesday, July 31, Lome, Togo

Things are looking up. I met with the local ecotour operator and we agreed to a three day trek to the hinterland beginning tomorrow. He's trying to line up some other participants but it looks like, sadly, I'll be by myself (and the guides). I'm looking forward to it. I've spent the past two days reading and getting my visa extended.

Rather than talk about me I want to tell you about Inge and Jens, my German friends. On Monday they were walking in Lome when they were approached by a well-dressed, well-spoken African gentleman. He spoke impeccable English.  The man was in obvious distress. He staggered and evidenced some sort of physical problem.
"I've been mugged," he told them. "They took my wallet and bag including my insulin. I'm diabetic. I'm in great need of an injection but have no funds to procure the drug. Can you help me, please?" He showed them business cards and evidence that he had a LinkedIn page. His obvious education and his clean appearance indicated that he might actually be in need.
He said he needed about 70,000 Togo francs, about $140. They talked for a bit and negotiated a way to exchange information so that he could pay them back as soon as he could get to his hotel and call the bank. But first he needed a shot. They grabbed a taxi and proceeded to a pharmacy. During the trip the man's eyes began to lose focus and his head lolled around from side to side. He seemed to be ready to pass out. Once inside Jens and Inge supplied the needed money. The man immediately injected himself in the chest. Then he purchased another dose and handed over his personal information to the couple. They parted. Jens wondered if he'd ever see his money again, but everything about the man seemed to suggest that he was legit.
Next evening Jens came up to me while I was eating my dinner in the cafe beneath the hotel.
"I checked Lonely Planet," he told me.
"It's a scam."
There on the internet was a story about the same man from 2012 playing the same role.

No comments:

Post a Comment